Monday, April 19, 2010

I Have My Mother's Feet

I was going to wait and blog about this on Mother's Day, but I'm afraid I'll forget by then, knowing the forgetful mommy brain I have as of late.

Saturday I took a half hour to myself instead of doing dishes, laundry, cleaning house, running errands, or any of the other hundreds of things there are to do on Saturday. Coop was asleep for a morning nap, and I jumped on the opportunity to have some me time. Out of the all the things I could do with my half hour, I decided my feet needed some attention and opted for a self-pedicure.

I'm too cheap/practical to spend money on getting a professional pedicure. Don't get me wrong, I love going to the spa and such, but even a $15 pedi seems to much to spend when I know I can do it myself and spend the money on something more lasting or entertaining. This do-it-herselfer hasn't had much time for such things in the last six months to do more than the occasional clipping of toenails and pushing back of unruly cuticles, and occasionally applying some lotion. Er, well more like nine months. I well remember the last time I painted my own toenails because I was UBER prego and could hardly reach my own feet through some serious yoga-like moves, and had to come up for air in between brush strokes. Glad that's over.

With warm weather finally here, and wanting to wear open-toed shoes in public, it was time to give my feet some TLC. As I sat down and examined the damage done over the last nine months, I could not believe my eyes. It was like staring down at my mother's feet.

Now let me intercept here with an explanation--this is NOT a bad thing. I am a chip off the old block. I don't know if my mom has ever had a professional pedicure. She's not that kind of woman; Mom is the kind of woman who goes around shoeless in the yard, and would prefer to not wear shoes anywhere. It's from Mom that I learned to appreciate the feeling of cool grass between my toes. I recall several times when I gave my mom a pedicure on the back porch or the couch. So I know what those feet look like. And mine are starting to look just like them.

As I sat there with my pumice stone and nail polish, I thought about my Mom. I thought about how I had always told myself that I would take better care of my feet so my heels don't get like Mom's, or that I would at least wear nail polish more often. Huh. That was before I had a child. Now I could appreciate how those calloused feet got that way, and appreciate what it meant. As a mother, who has time to spend on her own feet? Most of the time a mother's needs are the last to be met by herself, and her feet, well they're at the bottom of the list of priorities. Literally.

So to me, seeing my feet look like my Mother's...well, it was an indication that I have been being a good mom and wife, and a relization that it's all about the journey, not what our feet look like along the way.

3 comments:

  1. ha ha, I guess I should say ... thanks! but your feet tell me more about you besides the fact that you are taking such terrific care of one of my darling grandsons. It doesn't really even tell me that you have just been busy nor neglectful. As your mother, I have to tell you, my feet no longer look like that because I now wear socks, shoes, or slippers almost all the time. My slippers are the last thing I take off my feet before I climb into bed and almost the first thing I reach for when I wake, because my feet are almost always cold. My foot doc told me that dry, cracked feet can indicate other health issues, i.e., my thyroid problems. So be careful. Since last fall when I broke my toe, I am almost always found to be wearing shoes. (At least I don't clomp around the house anymore as I did with that awful cast). I know, I know, you almost fainted right? lol well, I have had prof. pedicures before. I even got my toenails painted last year for my birthday, compliments of Anna and Camyll, and even had some floral design painted on the big toes. They were beautiful and awesome! But you are right when you say that moms are usually too busy to care about their feet. Since then? I have learned to listen to not only my feet but also my hands as dry skin, and I mean, dry itchy skin, can be an indicator of bigger problems. So, treat yourself to a pedicure once in awhile. Even a professional one. Your baby sis got one last weekend along with a manicure, as she is wearing open toed sandals to PROM. YUP! she is grown up now too. She is going to her first PROM! As for me and my feet? We (my feet and I) still love the feel of cool grass, cool cement, soft carpet, but we also love the massage given when you get that professional manicure. I will take note and maybe, just maybe, you will be receiving one on me for some special day. After all, I do owe you something for all those foot massages. In my defense? some of those were given during pregnancies, for which I am very grateful. Here's to your feet!! :) Oh and by the way ~ you have your dad's feet. haha but I love you anyway. Love MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes mom has had a pro pedi. I took her and banana to a pedi/mani salon in the provo mall and we all paid for each others pedi's for our birthdays in July last year.
    I told Jason about a bridal party game before that pedi. You have the groom, groom's father, brothers, friends, etc. Stand behind something with only their ankles and feet showing. The bride has to decide which one is the grooms foot. I asked Jas if he could find mine. He had a quick "yep" reply. I asked no further questions. After my pedi my feet were so soft and he loved it but he told me now he wouldn't be able to find my foot because it was the back of the heel that would have given me away. Yep I have mom's cracked heels SUPER bad. But who needs shoes!! I completely understand moms boycott on shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of the part on Beaches where Hilary has to find that picture of her mother's hands. A good reminder.

    P.S. I got a pedicure today. It was blissful.

    ReplyDelete