Sunday, December 19, 2010

Looking at the Bright Side

A month ago I had microfracture surgery on my left knee to remove some torn cartilege and get some replacement cartilege to grow in its place. It's a much longer recovery than the originally planned 2-3 weeks of a regular scope surgery. It's 6 weeks with crutches and in a metal brace that goes thigh to ankle and is locked at the knee, 6 weeks in a machine for 6-8 hours a day that moves my knee for me, plus physical therapy 3 times a week on top of it. Another 2-4 weeks of walking with the brace unlocked at the knee...ok you get the point. I'll spare you the other details.



My point is not to get a pity party going. In fact, my point is just the opposite. It sounds so awful, and at times it has been, but I have been so fortunate and blessed to have had this for the following reasons:
  1. I had the OPTION of having the microfracture done because the condition of my knee was perfect for it. They can't do it unless the condition of the knee is just right for it, not many people are lucky enough when they have cartilege removed.
  2. I have the health insurance to cover it.
  3. This will return my knee to normal so I can play tennis again and do other exercises and fun things like hiking--yay!
  4. It gets better....:-)......this is only TEMPORARY!
  5. Had the surgery 4 days before Thanksgiving, which meant I didn't have to cook much or do any dishes, and I didn't feel guilty about it cause I was too doped up on painkillers. ;o)Have been able to work from home every day for a month, which means I've been blessed to spend much more time with my son and my sister.
  6. Very blessed with a job that allows me to work from home during this, rather than take medical leave.
  7. Have had AMAZING luck finding close parking spaces at places when I have ventured out. I call it a tender mercy from the Lord, who must be looking out for me since I don't get a handicapped parking pass.
  8. Have been able to take naps in the middle of the day when I feel like it--like today for instance--took a 3 hour nap while Nate took care of Coop. Bliss!! Haven't had so much sleep since before I got pregnant with Coop.
  9. On that note, I can't just get up in the middle of the night if Coop wakes up, so Nate has taken over that role. I have to admit it has been a little nice. But I do miss my little snuggly Boo Bear in the middle of the night. :o)
  10. I could list more, but I'm going to stop at ten. So the BEST part about having surgery?!?.................getting to ride one of these at Wal-Mart. ;o) They are more fun than you might think!

2 comments:

  1. Your picture cracks me up. Your pose is awesome. I'm sorry about your surgery but your optimism is so good to hear. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete