We had lots of fun plans for the 4th of July--parade, bbq, and swimming with friends, to name a few, but the day before, poor Hudson spiked a fever of 105.3, even with fever reducers (yikes!). After a frantic phone call to the doctor, a doctor visit, and blood work for Hudson, they found out it was viral and so we just had to wait it out. Knowing that hand, foot and mouth disease had been going around some of my friends' kids, and at church, I figured that was probably it. But with no apparent blisters, there was also a chance of roseola. It was just a wait and see, but meant that we had to keep him away from people until the fever had been gone for 24 hours. So... we changed our plans, and spent most of the day by ourselves.
That morning I made a yummy pancake breakfast, while singing along to patriotic music, and teaching Cooper about the Revolutionary War, why the national anthem is important, and what the flag represents to us literally and figuratively. We donned our red, white, and blue, and Cooper and I headed to the Indian Trail 4th of July parade. Parades here are different than in Utah. There are no floats like they have back home, mostly just trucks with people throwing candy.
It was sunny, but not too hot or humid, and we enjoyed the parade, even meeting up with our friends.
The kids had a good time (Taylor, Chase and Cooper). I was a bit quiet and antisocial having been up most of the night with a sick baby, and had a headache during the parade, so I was a bit of a party pooper.
After the parade, while the traffic cleared, Cooper and I enjoyed a slushie in the shade.
Back home, Nate and Coop headed off for some fishing at a nearby pond, while I tried to keep our feverish baby hydrated. He wouldn't eat/drink much, and even refused a popsicle. I was at a loss as to how to get him hydrated when I realized...duh! The kid LOVES watermelon! I let him eat as much watermelon as he wanted over the next few days--cool and hydrating--double win.
Despite him being sick, Hudson was still festive.
I'd built a blanket fort for the boys the day before, and Hudson had fun playing in it on and off throughout the day.
That night we enjoyed a bbq at home, just the four of us, eating all the yummy food I'd prepared for the bbq with our friends. We had more food than we could possibly eat: grilled hamburgers, bruschetta, home made pasta salad, watermelon, apple pie, and ice cream.
We'd contemplated driving down to Monroe to see the city fireworks show, but decided to just stay home and light a few in our driveway and call it good. By the look on Cooper's face, there was clearly no need for anything bigger.
The neighbors across the street, an older couple with 20-something grand kids living with them, came out to watch with us, but really to watch Cooper. They'd heard his squeals of delight and just couldn't resist. As we were doing our little fireworks, the cul-de-sac behind us started lighting off BIG fireworks. So we sat in the neighbor's driveway to watch.
Within 20 minutes there were 5 different cul-de-sacs lighting off fireworks. Apparently they have firework wars in our neighborhood, with a competition to see who has the best. What a great show--right at home!
Hudson had been asleep, poor guy, but with all the booms from the fireworks, despite the white noise machine I had turned up almost to full volume, he woke up VERY unhappy. Staying inside was out of the question, since then it was just loud, scary noises. At least being outside he could see the cause. But he was still so scared, and tired, and sick. It was a good day, despite our sick baby and spending most of the day by ourselves.
The next day Hudson's fever finally broke...
...and he was able to get a good nap.
And then the tell-tale rash appeared--roseola.
I was so thankful for a pediatrician who called me several times over the holiday weekend to check on Hudson, and then again Monday morning, to be sure he was ok. Thank goodness for expert, caring physicians. Well, there's one childhood disease we can check off the list for both boys.














No comments:
Post a Comment