Thursday, October 3, 2013

Hudson--4 Months Old

Hudson is already 4-1/2 months old.  It's about time I post about him being 4 months before it turns into 5.
Huddy continues to be a very happy baby.  He has had a few really great nights of sleep, his longest being 7:30 p.m. to 6:15 a.m, eating and then going back down for another hour.  Wish he'd do that every night, but he's still pretty good, and getting better all the time about sleeping long stretches at night.
At his 4 month checkup he weighed exactly 16 lbs.  (75th percentile), was 24.5" long (50th percentile), and his head had a 17" circumference (75th percentile).  He's a chunky little monkey!
Our baby is on the move, rolling all over the place.  The other day I'd laid him on a blanket in the kitchen with some toys.  I stepped to the washer/dryer about 15 feet away to do some laundry.  When I turned around a few minutes later, he'd completely rolled off the blanket and rug onto the wood floor.  He was still happy, just a little surprised, as was I!  He's also learning to sit up on his own, and can do so unsupported for about 10-20 seconds at a time.
Hudson has also recently developed a sense of humor, treating us to the occasional baby giggle.  It's still hard to figure what he finds funny enough to laugh at, but when he does giggle, it's about the cutest thing ever.  Can't wait to get that caught on video.
Hudson also recently went from sucking his thumb to more often sucking his fingers like this (just like his cousin Kate).  He also has started refusing the pacifier when going to sleep, preferring to chew on his hands/lovey.
There's that unmistakable "Hudson look" with eyes wide as can be, taking it all in.
Hudson has learned the joy of playing with toys.  He likes to figure things out though, not just play.
 Huddy has learned his name, but will only turn his head to "Hudson," not "Huddy," which surprises me because we call him Huddy more often than not.  He also knows Cooper's name, and will look for him when you say "Cooper."  Hudson also LOVES his Daddy.  Any time Daddy's voice or footsteps are heard, Hudson immediately starts looking for him.  He often does this when nursing too, which drives me nuts.  Actually, just about any sound or light will get his attention when he's nursing and distract him from the task at hand.  Feeding him is getting challenging.
 Here he is watching Cooper play outside.
The last month has been a challenging one for feeding.  For a solid two weeks I struggled to have enough breast milk for him, which was an emotional roller coaster for me.  I finally caved and started supplementing him with formula as I took drastic measures to regain my milk.  It was such an awful two weeks, being home bound, feeling like all I did was nurse or pump.  It took nearly all my time, but it was worth it.  The only residual from that is that now sometimes he refuses to nurse and wants a bottle.  He'll scream and cry and pull away when I try to feed him, but the minute I take him to the kitchen and pull out a bottle, he quiets and gets excited, watching intently as I make it, whether breast milk or formula.  He's too smart for his own good sometimes.
I've enjoyed the few hours we have alone together three days a week while Cooper is at preschool.  It's been fun to get to interact with Hudson one-on-one without a big brother crying or pestering for attention.  Hudson has seemed to enjoy it too.
We love this little guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment