After getting washed off in the cold water of the hose, the kids laid out on the warm, sunny concrete of the back patio.
Camyll and I worked in her garden a little. It was blissful.
Later that night Nate took Cooper fishing again, and with Hudson down, and no company for the night, I headed back out to weed Camyll's garden a bit more. My Dad came out to see what I was doing, and we ended up weeding the garden together in the twilight of the summer evening. We chatted here and there, but mostly just enjoyed working side by side in the solitude of a beautiful summer night. I paused long enough to sear the moment in my memory, it being one I will long cherish--just spending quiet time with my Dad, digging in the dirt--one of my other favorite moments of this trip.
All that week was "Steel Days" in American Fork, which is a week-long celebration of the city's heritage. There's a carnival all week, an antique car show, and lots of stuff to do with the kids. That Friday night was Picnic in the Park, where they have free bounce houses, games you'd find at the fair, and lots of other fun things for the kids to do, including an outdoor movie. I usually run into an old high school friend or two, and enjoy letting my kids have fun with their cousins. We had planned on going to this event, but come Friday night, I don't recall exactly what happened, but my sister and I were NOT feeling it. Neither she nor I was feeling physically well, and we, well, kinda ruined the night for everyone by deciding to stay at home, have a backyard bbq instead, and just kinda chill. I felt so bad for changing plans so drastically, especially since my sister, Chelsey, had taken off work early to be with us. At least we got to see baby Terra--such a cutie pie!
The irrigation ditch had been running in the backyard, and had flooded the sandbox/ swing set. The kids were in heaven playing in the water and mud. Hudson wanted to participate, so he got to swing.
Tyler and Cooper enjoyed getting wet and muddy!
That night Camyll, Jason, and their kids, Calvin and Jaisie; my sister, Cassady, and bro-in-law George; Cooper, and Nathan all camped out in tents on the back lawn of Mom and Dad's house. The little ones were ecstatic to be having a campout sleepover!
Try getting four very excited kids to hold still, look in one direction, and take a picture--ha!







No comments:
Post a Comment