So last Saturday Nathan and I ventured out to the Chattahoochee river so I could practice my fly fishing skills (or improve upon the lack thereof). We spent about 3 hours in the water. I found out that I am not a patient person when it comes to learning something new. I guess I'm just so used to being able to learn things quickly as far as things like work skills, etc. This fly fishing thing is so complicated. It reminds me of trying to learn to drive a car. It seems like there are so many things to remember all at once that I can't possibly remember them all and get it to all go smoothly. Remember when you were learning to drive? I remember feeling so overwhelmed and asking my dad something along the lines of, "But how am I supposed to remember to gas/brake at just the right pressure, turn at just the right moment and angle, check for oncoming traffic, check my blind spots, etc., etc. all at the same time? I can't do this!"
Yeah, so that was pretty much me on Saturday. Here's the monologue going through my head. Ok. Let out enough line to cast as far as I can, but not too much or it will get all messy, and not too little or it won't go anywhere. Bring line back. Roll cast. Keep shoulder statinary. Follow through with forearm, not just wrist. Oops, too much wrist. Too late. Ok. Oh, shoot, mend the line. Oh, keep the line out of the water--you're going to spook all the fish. Keep rod in line with fly. Oh, mend the line again. Oh, keep line out of water. Ok. Feed line enough to allow fly to continue looking natural. Not enough, now too much. Oh, keep finger on line and feed hand to hand. Now your fly is messed up and the fish know it's fake. Bring in the line. Let's try this again....and again...and again...and again....blurg.
One Last Party
3 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment