I've been fretting for weeks now about waiting in line at the polls to vote. Record numbers of registered voters voted early in GA, and I was so worried about the lines today. Yes, I procrastinated casting my vote until the last possible day in a few of the last possible hours. I have so much to do at work that I really shouldn't have taken the time off, but I left work at 4 p.m. and headed to the polls to cast my ballot. And....there were NO lines. Seriously, I walked right in! It took me longer to find the rinky-dink lions club building than it did to actually cast my ballot. I had used an online tool provided by the local paper called "Build My Ballot." It was really cool. I put in my address, and it gave me my voting precinct and all applicable votes I would cast on my ballot for my specific district, gave a comparison for all those running for the different offices, and had a spot for me to mark which one I chose. After printing that out (took me all of 45 minutes to read through it all and make my final decisions), and taking it with me to the polls, I cast my ballot in such a short amount of time that I was home by 4:45, even after getting lost a few times trying to find the place. I have to admit that when I walked out of there I felt good that I had done my civic duty. Especially knowing how many people (including women's sufferage) have made it possible for me to have a say in things. Oh, and I am glad I live in the USA. I was listening to a radio program on the way home that was talking about countries (like Austrailia) where a citizen can risk being fined and possibly incarcerated for not voting. I've never thought about that side of things before--being forced to vote. Interesting. So today I'm thankful that I was able to exercise my freedom as a United States citizen to vote in such an historic election. Besides, I got a cool "I'm a Georgia Voter" sticker with a GA peach on it.
GET OUT AND VOTE!
One Last Party
3 years ago
At least your state helped the cause. Mine sucks. 3 hours for nothing.
ReplyDeleteHey Chrystal,
ReplyDeleteYou are not going to believe this. I was having a discussion with my wife on how she found old friends on blogs. I was interested and started typing in names too. I tried your name and believe it or not, you came up. It truly is a small world on the internet. It is funny that you live in GA too, we actually live in MS. I work for Georgia Pacific and travel to Atlanta a lot. I am actually being screened for a corporate position there. Which would be cool for the temple and Braves baseball (GP has box seats which are really nice) anyways though, drop a line if you can, my email address is blaine.edwards@gapac.com and my wife always wants people to see her blog, blaineandheatheredwards@blogspot.com,
Talk to you later,
Blaine Edwards
We are so happy to hear from you. Glad you are doing so well. Love, Eileen & Peter
ReplyDelete