Sunday, November 23, 2008

It's Beginning to Look a Little Like Christmas at Twilight

This year I went against my cardinal rule of no Christmas anything until after Thanksgiving. I heard about the lighting of the 50-foot Christmas tree at one of the places in Atlanta and I wanted to go. So last night we went with our friends, Mike and Megan Armstrong. It was a little anti-climactic though because we went to dinner first and ended up arriving with only 5 minutes left for the countdown. I was expecting something more breathtaking. But it was still very pretty, and they had snow machines blowing fake snow all over us once the tree was lit. It got me in the Christmas mood. Now I have to back up and get ready for Thanksgiving.

Yes, that's my dorky husband flashing his "gang signs."


After the lighting of the tree, the night was still young, so we decided to wander over and see what movies were playing. I don't know how we did it, but we ended up convincing the guys to go see "Twilight" with us. I know--I had to pick my jaw up off the sidewalk too. Actually, they kind of offered. At least Mike did. He had read the book with Megan and thought it had potential to be a good movie with all the vampire scenes. I had a hunch that the guys were going to be gravely disappointed for lack of "cool vampire action scenes," but I wasn't going to say anything. It was either Twilight or the new James Bond movie and I was not overly excited about that prospect. After the movie I didn't hear the end of how stupid it was for about an hour--but hey--I got to see it and didn't have to wait a month to see it with my mom and sisters. My review: it was what I expected--nothing more--nothing less--a cute teenage love story--with lots of "dreamy" scenes. The movie captured the "teen love" and the awkwardness very well. The baseball scene was done well, but the meadow scene and the flying/running through the forest were totally disappointing. Would have been happy with the rental. I know, I know. That may be blasphemy to some of you Twilight fans out there. I'm just not one--at least not a big one. But I probably would be if I were about 15 years younger.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you guys are getting in the Christmas spirit! Christmas will be here before we know it and we will get to see you. I feel the same about Twilight. I had low expectations so I was pleasantly surprised i liked it, but it was not amazing. I agree the baseball scene was done well. Too many scenes with Edward and Bella and not enough of the Cullens. I would like to see it again and drag Bryt so that he can see what all the hype is about. We will see...Love Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew we shouldn't have brought the guys to a movie like that. However, I talked to some people at church and their husbands were totally OK with the movie. I think a lot of older Twilight people were anticipating a low budget film with cheese but to me the books are kind of cheesy so I was fine with it. I enjoyed the movie for what it was but now that they made 70 mill on this movie looks like they are doing the next book. I hope they figure out how to do the jumping and running better. It was too fake looking and not athletic looking enough for me. My mom said her Young Women loved the movie! To be expected. I think the movie was right on for teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha I thought the same thing. Honestly listening and watching the audience was way more entertaining than the movie. Grown women squealing when Edward made his first apperance. Oh and everyone leaning out of their seats waiting for the kiss. My oh my it was so funny! -- Camyll

    ReplyDelete