Cooper will be 4 months old tomorrow. Wow--crazy! The last month has been a whirlwind of milestones for him.
- Just after Christmas (like 2 days after we got home), he started giggling. Here is a video or two of it (sorry it's sideways, Nathan turned the camera up, not realizing we couldn't rotate the video later.) Such fun to make Cooper giggle.
- Baby Talk - Cooper has found his voice. And boy does he LOVE to talk. When he's awake and not eating or spitting up, he's usually talking. Having his fingers in his mouth, which is also about as often as he's awake, does not stop him from his constant stream of baby language. Him being awake in church may now pose a problem...How do you get a 4-month old to be quiet without a pacifier, which for some reason he only likes when he is nearly asleep, or between the hours of 7-8 pm before bath time. Yes, I ended up with one of THOSE kids who doesn't really like a pacifier.
- Squeals - Along the lines of giggles and goos, add to the mix the occasional squeal. When Cooper gets very excited about something, he squeals a very high-pitched squeal of delight. Cooper also squeals when he wants your attention, and he has a much lower-pitched squeal/scream of frustration or anger. He is already learning how to get his way and how to throw fits when he doesn't get what he wants. I have already started using the word "No" on occasion when he's doing something I REALLY don't want him to do. I say it short, succinct, and in a low tone of voice, and he understands now that that means to stop whatever it is he is doing. Now if only he remains so obedient....hah!
- Rolly poly - Cooper is a little roly poly. Before Christmas (which was his 3-month b-day), he started rolling consistantly from belly to back. Back then if I put him on his belly, he would endure it for no more than 2-3 minutes after which time he would loudly protest. Last week, after a week or so of trying and trying, he finally mastered rolling from back to belly. He thinks this is great! Now when I put him on his back, he almost immediately rolls to his belly.
- Army-crawler...but only in circles - Cooper is learning to push with his feet and pull with his arms in a sort of army crawl to get to things he wants. He's not as consistent with this yet, but there are occasions where he will do this over and over, but not really go anywhere except in a circle. It's hilarious because you can see what he wants or where he wants to go, and he tries so hard to do it, but can't quite. I'll usually let him try for awhile and then help him when he gets mad that he can't do it yet on his own. He is very stubborn, but also persistent.
- Eating solid foods - I know you're supposed to wait until your baby is at least 4-months old to give them solid foods. Well, 2 weeks ago Cooper was clearly ready, and I figured 2 weeks was close enough. The first few bites he was unsure, but ever since I can't seem to shovel it in fast enough. He LOVES it. Tonight he was fussy and hungry. I was feeding him a bottle, but then decided to give him rice cereal before he got too tired. I stopped the bottle just as I was opening the cupboard to get out his bowl. He started to protest the taking away of the bottle until saw the bowl. Then he just watched in quiet anticipation until I walked over to the counter where the rice cereal was, and poured it into the bowl. He squealed in delight. What a kid.
- I have feet, Mom! Yes, Cooper recently discovered his feet. He most often plays with them sans pants. For some reason when his pants are on, he thinks his feet don't exist or something, but the second his pants come off...voila! Feet! [This outfit seemed to be the exception, so I snapped a shot.]
- Just tonight Cooper mastered holding his own bottle. I have not tried to teach him to do this. Maybe the baby sitter did? In any case, I was surprised and a little sad. Thank goodness he still nurses in the mornings, evenings, and on the weekends so I can still have my baby for most feedings. He's growing up too fast.
- Cooper wants very badly to be able to sit on his own. The bumbo chair only frustrates him because he can't reach things he wants. He is in heaven if we sit with him and hold him up while he plays. My guess is that he will be sitting within a few weeks. He's nearly there...
Other noteable Cooper-isms:
- Cooper is an awe of the camera. The second we get it out to snap a shot of whatever cute thing he is doing, he instantly gives us this face....and stares at the camera....
- Cooper's favorite song is "Do as I'm Doing." A lot of times in the car he is loudly expressing his opinion about being in his carseat. No matter why he is crying or fussing, singing this song will very nearly always stop him mid-cry. Today in church I was helping Nathan teach the 4-5 year old class. During singing time Cooper was sitting on my lap, and they happened to sing "Do as I'm Doing." He immediately burst into a wild grin and flailed his arms around. He was too excited to even giggle. The chorister noticed it from the front of the room and commented. Too funny. Hey, he may not take a pacifier, but "Do as I'm Doing" works pretty darn good!
- Cooper also loves "The Wheels on the Bus" song, especially if you make his arms go "round and round."
- Cooper LOVES Julie Andrews' singing. I have an old Disney CD box set from when I was young. (I admit that I bought it when I was in my early 20s, hoping to have it for my kids someday.) I usually pop in a CD while Cooper takes a bath. He'll be playing with his toys, and not making any indication he's listening to the music, that is until Julie Andrews comes on singing one song or another from Mary Poppins. As soon as he hears her, he will stop what he's doing and just listen for a minute or two. He's even cracked a big smile a time or two. He especially loves "A Spoonful of Sugar" and "Stay Awake."
- Cooper loves to read. OK, not really READ, but he loves books. Every night before bed we read at least one, and sometimes he'll sit and let me read 4 or 5 in a row. He has figured out how to help turn the pages of his baby books. [He also likes to EAT the books as much as look at or listen to them being read.]
- To fall asleep Cooper MUST be swaddled tightly, arms included, and the blanket MUST be touching his face. If the blanket is not next to his face, good luck getting him to sleep! I did not encourage this behavior. Sometimes if he's in his carseat and I don't have a blanket readily available, I'll put his burp cloth around his face/head and fake him out. He instantly snuggles down.
- When he's really tired and wants to go to sleep, he's waiting for swaddling. The minute I lay down the blanket, lay him on it, and pull up one corner, he smiles. When entirely swaddled, he usually gives me a very happy and thankful grin. Speaking of which, I'd better end this blog and go do my swaddling duties. He's very loudly letting me know right now that I am neglecting his bed time.
He is adorable!
ReplyDeleteAnd neither of my kids would take a binkie to save their lives. It definitely makes things more difficult while they're little, but hey, at least I never had to take 'em away when they were older! (That's what I tell myself, but I'm hoping and praying this next one will either suck their thumb or take a binkie! Any kind of self soothing!) :-)
That's awesome he's rolling so well, and both ways. He's so young! That's great!
And my girls slept tightly swaddled 'til 6-8 months (at least for bed, I think naptime we didn't have to swaddle anymore around 5 months, although they did sleep better if we did.) The tricky part was that only Greg's swaddle was good enough. He could do it so tight that they couldn't move (and his mother would whimper and sometimes cry watching him swaddle the girls 'cause she was convinced it was hurting them it looks so tight) . . . when I did it, they were fussier, took longer to get to sleep, and didn't sleep as long. The week he went to Mexico on business was the longest, worst week of Ellie's early months! :-)
No, I didn't teach him to hold his bottle! He gets really excited sometimes and just grabs ahold. I have also noticed that when he's hungry he cries, but when he sees me getting his bottle, he calms down. He's a smart baby.
ReplyDeleteGood to know about "Do as I'm Doing" - maybe that'll help when we go pick up Lauren and he's crying. :)
You'll be SO glad you have this record of his milestones. Reading this made me think back to Kyle and realize just how much I've forgotten about those early months! It's crazy how some things you think you'll 'never forget' get lost in the corners of the mind.
ReplyDelete