Sunday, January 17, 2010

I HAVE BECOME ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE

I have become one of those people...the ones you see sitting alone in cafes typing on laptops. I always wondered why people would want to sit in a cafe and surf the internet rather than be at home. Well, now I understand, even if my reason is a little unconventional compared to the rest of the people in here.
You see, today Nathan granted me a couple hours of FREEDOM, personal time to do whatever I want, while he volunteered to do the full taking care of Cooper. It was supposed to be 3 hours, but since Cooper didn’t cooperate this morning with his nap schedule, my 3 hours has been chopped down to 1 so we can get to an afternoon appointment on time. And what did I choose to do with my hour?
I knew if I stayed in the house I would be tempted to do things I HAVE to do or NEED to do, rather than what I WANT to do. So I left the house and drove to the nearest place with internet access that I know of—Atlanta Bread Company. It’s quite cozy sitting in here by the fire, eating my lunch in quiet solitude, and blogging—finally. So this is why I have become one of “those people.” [Blogging meaning typing several entries in Word to post tomorrow, because as luck would have it, I can’t get my laptop to connect to their internet. It SO figures.]
Being a mom and working full time are about the only things I have time for anymore. Back in November, just before Thanksgiving, I even went to the extreme of giving my dog up for adoption. I found Lola a very nice home with kids to play with her and another dog to run around with. I knew once I returned to work I wouldn’t have time to give her the attention she would need. Boy was I right! As depressed as I was about it, and as hard as it still is to think of her and not get teary eyes, I am glad I bit the bullet and just did it. Now when I come home from work I don’t feel guilty for not getting out to walk her or to play with her. It’s just best for everyone.
I had always heard that being a mom meant putting everyone else before yourself. It’s true. There’s just no way around it. And therefore, this poor blog gets neglected day after day. I often think of things to blog about, and just have to blog about it in my head while I’m driving or doing dishes or laundry, in between soothing or entertaining my little baby, of course.
I wouldn’t trade it for the world, but I am not a big fan of working and having a young baby. It is “possible” for me to quit, but if I do, it will take us at least 3 more years past our current goal to get out of debt, and it’s quite possible another kid will come into the mix well before then. So Nathan and I are both sticking it out for the time being. It really will be better in the long run, and won’t be for long. We can do it! Budget, budget, budget. That is the key.
So in the mean time, I’ll cherish my personal time once every few weeks when my husband takes pity on me; which means that every so often I’ll get on here and you’ll be blasted with about 20 blogs/updates, or a slide show of photos from the month or two prior. If I don’t respond to your emails/facebook notes, know that I only get to check those things about once a month now. They are even further down the list of priorities/wants than blogging…you get the picture. OK. Enough about me…I know what you really want is pictures and info on the star of the show…Cooper. More to come…much more. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment