Cooper recently finished his first swimming lessons, which was the first level without parent involvement. He did well learning to blow bubbles in the water, and grew more and more confident over the course of the two weeks of lessons.
He was at a bit of a disadvantage with the water being chin-high when on his tip toes, so he didn't get much of a break of water being in his face, but he handled it like a champ.
Here you can see his first attempt at swimming on his back.
We've been going to the outdoor pool/water park 2-3 times per week, and most of the time we go with his friends Ethan and Addison. Ethan is about 8 months older than Cooper, but they get along great! I would say Ethan is probably his "best" friend at this point. Their favorite things to do at the water park are go down the big kid water slide wearing life jackets. I couldn't believe Coop wanted to go all by himself! They also love splashing water on each other, and Cooper loves turning all the steering wheels that affect water spraying out of various pipes.
In going to the pool for the last month, Cooper's confidence in the water has increased immensely. We've gone from not wanting to be in water deeper than he could touch in, to being able to "swim" by moving his arms in a swimming motion with hands cupped, and kicking his feet (which he still does from the knees), with the assistance of arm floaties (partially deflated). He'll swim about a 10 ft. distance by himself in any depth of water before needing any kind of reassurance. He also LOVES to jump in off the side, but only into the arms of someone, and only if that someone agrees to keep his head above water. Still not a fan of going under the water, but he's gone from crying when he's dunked to just asking not to do it again; he doesn't get dunked often, mostly when I "accidentally" let his head go under the water when jumping from the side. He also doesn't mind if water gets in his face or nose when swimming with his head above the water. I think these things are HUGE for a little guy his age. His swimming instructor was very surprised at the end of lessons to find out how young Cooper was compared to his 5 and 3-1/2 yr classmates. I am very proud of him, and very hopeful that he'll have no fear of the water, and learn to swim like a fish, two things I still struggle with as an adult, which is probably why I'm so enamored with him learning.
No comments:
Post a Comment