The 4th of July was so fun this year with Cooper experiencing a few firsts, and being more conscious of what the holiday is about, and enjoying things more.
Coop was all excited to wave his American flag, which he will tell you represents the United States of "Amerita."
Aunt Denise and Uncle Jim visited us for the day. Cooper just LOVES when Aunt Denise comes to visit. He loves her so much, and always talks about her visits for days afterward.
We started the morning off at a local parade. We were very lucky to have a nice shady spot within a very short walking distance from the car, and a nice little breeze to keep us cool. It was actually very pleasant to be outside that morning.
Cooper was curious as the parade began, this being his first-ever parade.
I was sure glad the parade didn't disappoint and had tractors and firetrucks just as I had told him it would. He was all about the tractors!
I thought the firetrucks would be his favorite, but as soon as they sounded their sirens, Coop started crying and booked it into the woods!
Every time a firetruck or police car would come by (and there were lots!), Cooper INSISTED that one of us hold him back in the woods about 30 feet. He didn't want to be anywhere near them. It was so pitiful. Poor little guy.
Coming home and having a nice big 4th of July cupcake from Aunt Denise, with A LOT of red, white, and blue frosting, made ALL the difference.
Since we seldom get a picture of the three of us, we snapped one just before Denise and Jim left for home.
Cooper decided he liked Aunt Denise's hat.
Our fireworks experience was quite comical. We were in such a rush, that I had no camera, and thus no pictures.
After Cooper being so afraid of the loud fire engines at the parade, we were worried he'd be too scared of the loud fireworks to enjoy the big show we were planning on attending in our town. All afternoon we kept telling him how loud they'd be, and asking whether he wanted to go. He watched a few on YouTube, and kept insisting he'd like them.
As soon as the neighbors started doing fireworks around 7 pm, all the booming and popping sounds sent Cooper running upstairs to the couch where he wouldn't let us put him down, and sat with his head burrowed into our shoulders every time he heard fireworks. So we decided at that point to rule out going to see anything live. We were so sad that we hadn't at least purchased some for home, but would rather Cooper have a good time than wrestle a screaming, crying toddler.
So we sat at home watching the fireworks in Washington D.C. on TV. Cooper liked those fireworks, and as it started to get dark, I decided that if we could just get him to SEE them and understand where the loud boom was coming from, that he'd enjoy them. We were all in our pajamas on the couch, when I heard some big ones outside our front window, so I ran Coop to the window to show him. We ventured outside to the driveway, and I said to Nate, "It's 9:20. Fireworks show starts at 9:30 (15 min away). If we get in the car NOW, we can make it!" Nate ran and got his keys, while I got in the car with Cooper, trying to convince him that it would be fun, that he just needed to trust us. Nate drove like a madman, and we made it downtown JUST in the nick of time. The fireworks had just started. We found a public parking lot, and "parked" the car in the only remaining spot, part of the driveway. We hopped out of the car, opened the back, and watched the fireworks. Cooper exclaimed, "I like them! They're AWESOME and beautiful and sparkly! And I'm not even trying (crying)!" It was all worth it to see the smile on his face. He's looking forward to fireworks in Utah next week!!
No comments:
Post a Comment