Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Vacation Day 4: Fort Sumter

Day four of our Folly Beach, SC vacation we were up bright and early to take a ferry to tour Fort Sumter, the historic Civil War military fort.  The kids were excited to go on a "big boat" on the ocean.

 As we neared the island, the fort could be seen in the distance.
 The fort was just as I remembered it when I last visited it at 12 years old.  I paid more attention to things this time, though, I think.
 The brick mortar was made of the same material as that of the dungeon we'd visited the night before.  It's called "tabby" mortar, which is made primarily of ground up oyster shells, among other usual cement ingredients like lime.  Clearly the stuff is extremely durable, having withstood the elements and humans for so long a period.  Here's a close-up shot of some at the fort.
 Cooper thought the "big shooter guns" were pretty cool.
Here's one of the case shots embedded in the fort wall from the Civil War battle.
 And another, courtesy of Vanna White, I mean, Camyll.
 Cal thought the Cannons were pretty cool too.
 Nate thought the whole thing was worth busting a move for.
 I just wanted some proof I was there too.
 There's a really neat memorial at the top of the hill.
 The boys had fun running around the base of the flag.
Classic Fort Sumter scene.
This original flag the Union flew and retired upon their surrender of the fort is on display in the museum.
 Cooper had fun counting the stars and stripes of this different looking American flag.
 By the time we were done touring the fort and the museum, the boys were DONE and ready for some running time.  They had fun chasing each other all over the grass in the center of the fort.
  Jaisie was happy to get out and run around too.
Views of Charleston from the fort.
 The ferry ride back was pretty uneventful, and the kids were just hungry and ready to do something more kid-friendly.  But us adults enjoyed the morning tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment