Thursday, October 11, 2012

We Love You, Aunt Klea and BB!

Besides our wonderful vacations, September was a month of heartache.  First, over Labor Day weekend  my Great-Aunt Klea, who was more like a grandmother to me when I was growing up, than a great-aunt, passed away.  After my grandmother passed away from ovarian cancer when my mom was 7 years old, Aunt Klea took care of my mom and my uncle for several years, helping my grandpa (her brother) put his life back together after such a tragic loss.  As if that doesn't say enough about her, she continued that love all through her life.  As a child, she never missed sending a birthday card to us kids on our birthday with a $2 bill inside. It was something I always looked forward to.  Aunt Klea told me that she and I shared a special bond because both our birthdays were in February.  She was a strong, beautiful woman.  I remember admiring her beauty as a child, and hoping that my skin would be as soft and white when I was old.

Aunt Klea loved to travel.  She often took trips to Hawaii with her sister-in-law (I think), and always had seashells and other souvenirs to show us.  I believe she gave me a seashell necklace after one such trip.  I loved visiting her house, which was on a farm near Ogden, Utah.  Uncle Jake, her husband, was a farmer among other things.  I'll never forget going out with Uncle Jake to see his farm animals.  He had so many: cows, horses, pigs, turkeys, chickens, ducks, and probably many others that I don't remember.  They also had a coi pond, and we often went out to feed the fish together.  Aunt Klea had a bubbly personality, and had many friends.  She was also very musically talented, and was a choir director for many church meetings and functions, and sang in several choirs.  I will certainly miss her, but know that she was greeted on the other side by my Grandpa and Grandma, Great Grandparents, and all her other siblings except the one that's still living, and I'm sure a whole myriad of people who loved her.  It saddened me to not be able to attend her funeral, but that's one of the things I've learned to deal with living so far from my family in Utah. (Aunt Klea's obituary)

A few weeks after Aunt Klea's passing, a week after our vacation to Charleston, our beloved "BB" (Betty Brannon Smith) passed away after a long hard battle with ovarian cancer.  It shocked us that after having fought such a good fight that she seemed to go so quickly.  Betty was another woman with a big heart.  She raised Nate from a young age, and was always there for us.  I loved her spunky personality.  She was bubbly and full of life.  Betty had a great sense of humor, and after getting to know her, I understood where Nate learned some of his quick wit and sarcasm from.  One of my favorite memories of Betty was last Thanksgiving when we visited her.  Cooper was dancing to some music, and Betty got up and danced and laughed right along with him.  She had an infectious laugh.  Another thing I admired about Betty was her sharp memory.  She could recall the names of people and places from long ago, often remembering the names of Nate's old friends and their parents, old teachers, etc.  She could recall things so easily and quickly.  Betty was loved by so many.  We all miss her dearly.  (Betty's obituary)
Grandma BB and Cooper - September 2012 (about 3 weeks before she passed away)

The passing of "Grandma BB," as he called her, was Cooper's first experience with death.  We explained to him that Grandma BB died, which meant that while her body would stay here on earth, her spirit was still alive and went to live with Heavenly Father, like we all do after we die.  He had a few moments of sadness when we were at the viewing and he saw her in the casket and began to grasp the concept that she was no longer with us.  We had talked about the viewing beforehand, and he had said he wanted to see her and say goodbye, but I'm sure he didn't fully comprehend what that meant, and when I took him with me to the casket, he clung to me, afraid.  So we let him go outside with his Poppy, while Nate and I stayed.  Cooper was so good during the funeral and graveside service.  I was so pleased and relieved that he behaved so well.  Having Poppy there helped a lot, since they were outside together for awhile, and Coop was excited to see him and MeMaw.  Cooper asked a few times that week about death, and I was able to explain in simple terms God's Plan of Happiness, our beliefs about life after death, and that families and loved ones are not just for here on earth, but exist forever.  As I explained these concepts to Cooper, I realized how firmly I believe them, and what a balm they are to an aching heart when we those we love pass to the next life.  I know that Jesus Christ made it possible for us all to return to the presence of our Heavenly Father, and that this life is but a moment in our eternal progression.  So while September was a month where I lost two amazing women from my life, I find comfort in knowing I'll see them both again when it's my turn to be called to our eternal home.  We love you, Aunt Klea and "BB", and will not forget the ways you touched our lives and hearts forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment