Tuesday was still chilly, but not raining, so we took advantage of the beautifully cool day and took the kids for a bike ride on the Cape Cod Rail Trail. I suggested a section that had lots to see: 3 ponds with beaches, an ice cream shop, and a pizza place to stop at for lunch. It was set to be a perfect 10 of a day.
Then the day started... Oh it was frustratingly hilarious. I went out to get the truck and bikes loaded, and opened the door to find Nate’s wet shoes and fishing gear from the day before. The truck smelled so bad inside that I nearly puked. I needed to get the wet stuff out of there STAT, but I couldn’t open the back because of the kayak on top, couldn’t get the kayak down myself and Nate was in a work meeting, and the kayak was fullof water from the rain the night before. So I had to climb through the cab and get everything out. You can bet I was not happy. Finally got that done and bikes loaded, one of which I had to load through the back window because we were one bike spot short on the bike rack. So fun (not). The boys had been fighting all morning, and I was in no mood for any of it.
We finally went over to pick up Nate’s Aunt Deliaand cousin Cordelia 45 minutes late. We starteddriving to the bike rental place, and I realized I forgot my pocketbook and sunglasses at Grandpa’s house. So we got a bike rented for Delia, got it loaded, and had to drive an extra 20 minutes round trip for me to get my purse and sunglasses. By the time we got to Grandpa’s house we realized that instead of a morning start, it was nearly lunch time, and we hadn’t even started. So we schlepped all the kids out of the car into the house, slapped some pb&j sandwiches together, ate, and piled everyone back in the car—it was already 12:40! Good thing we weren’t on a schedule that day!
We finally made it to the parking lot near the trail, get all the bikes unloaded, and discover that the chain of Cordelia’s bike is off. So I spend 10 minutes getting my hands greasy to get it back on, only to have it come off again in an instant. Another 5 minutes later it’s back on and comes off AGAIN. We realized then that the gear the chain goes around was bent. I tried to step on it and bend it back, but it didn’t help enough. So Delia drove the 20 minutes round trip to the bike shop to rent another bike while the boys and I waited in the parking lot with all the other bikes, because there was no way I was going to put them all back on the bike rack and get all the kids back in the car! Delia returned, and we were FINALLY really going on this bike ride—like 90 minutes laterthan planned. Ha!
We started biking, and I realized after the first 2 miles that this ride was a lot longer than 2 miles one-way, more like 3.5, and we had two six year olds with us! They did amazing, though. We we’re all happy to arrive at the pizza place! (And thenI discovered that in all the hubbub with the bikes, I’d left my wallet in my purse in the car. Face palm!) Delia saved my bacon and paid for lunch.
All that biking and pizza may have made us a little crazy!
On the way back we stopped at one of the beaches at Seymour pond to take a little break. I asked the boys to please try to keep their shoes dry. Yeah right. I may have well asked for a million dollars. Within 5-10 minutes of repeatedly asking and warning we left because Hudson was literally standing shin- deep in the water, which happened while Delia and I had our heads turned to look at something for maybe 30 seconds.
We did it! Even though we forgot to take any pictures of us actually on the bikes or the trail, we biked 7 miles round trip with 3 kids!
That night we had an impromptu cookout at the Primrose Pub, the perfect way to end the day.
The kids had fun riding their scooters down the hill of the street out front a break-neck speeds. Itmade me too nervous, and I couldn’t even watch them for long. Little daredevils!
When we got home, Grandpa had the Red Sox game on. JD Martinez was up to bat with bases loaded, and 2 outs. The boys were excited to watch the game with Grandpa for a few minutes, until Martinez missed the grand slam opportunity by striking out. Fun little late-night lesson for the boys from Grandpa about baseball. 💟










No comments:
Post a Comment