Monday we drove out nearly to the tip of Cape Cod to the town of Truro to see the Highland Light. I’ve been waiting for years for Hudson to be tall enough to be allowed to climb the steps/ladders to the top.
We stopped at a cute local place called Sweet and Savory to eat lunch. The boys ordered pizza and I got a tuna sandwich. Once again Hudson decided my lunch looked better, and stole my sandwich. That boy! ;)
We toured the Highland House Museum first. The kids, especially Hudson, had fun competing a scavenger hunt while we made our way through the museum. It was interesting to see a room about the many shipwrecks near there, and someartifacts recovered from the sunken ships, or that were washed ashore. There were exhibits about the old local fishing community, including oneabout fishnet fashion (clothes—more than fishnet stockings) that came from there. The kids liked seeing the children’s bedrooms, and many old tools and household items. For completing the scavenger hunt they were given free button pins, which Cooper quickly pinned proudly to his backpack.
We were excited to tour the lighthouse next, but so utterly disappointed as we went to pay, and the lady said Hudson was too short. We measured and he was about 1/4” shy of their 48” tall sign, which was strange because he was able to ride things at Disney World in April that required 48” height. She refused to sell him a ticket to climb the lighthouse. I’m “sure” that 1/4” would have made a difference of whether he would be able to climb the stairs. I was so mad and frustrated, and the boys were sure disappointed. Next year it will be under renovation. Booooo! Serious thumbs down. We walked out to the lookout point where the lighthouse used to be, but had to me moved due to natural erosion of the sandy cliff. That’s the open Atlantic—so beautiful!
We still had fun, even if that lady made us mad-sad.
It’s so kind when someone offers to take a picture for you! Of course I said yes, please.
Then she suddenly said, “Ok silly faces!” Her 15 yr old daughter was not prepared for me to participate, I guess, because as soon as I pulled this face, she was surprised into laughter. I said, “Didn’t expect that, did you?” She said that no, shedidn’t. Ha!
No comments:
Post a Comment