Thursday, November 12, 2009

My Twin

Today has been "Mommy gets to do whatever she wants to" Day. It's been great. I'm dreading going back to work one week from tomorrow. I am already in tears about leaving my little guy for 8 hours a day. Ugh. I am also F.R.E.A.K.I.N.G. O.U.T. about how in the world I am going to do all I need to and keep my sanity. I just don't see how I'll ever do all the things a wife/mom needs to do and still work full time while I have an infant. In a week I get to find out.

But in the mean time, I'm spending a day for myself. Haven't done that since before Cooper was born, and probably won't get to again for a very long time. So today I didn't shower until noon and I spent the morning cuddling with and playing with my son, enjoying nursing him and making him smile and coo, and watching him sleep. Among other things, I also finished a book I bought before Cooper was born. Firefly Lane is the first non-baby-related book I've read since I found out I was pregnant. I bought it because it was about a friendship between two girls that lasts their lifetime. It is very "Beaches"-esque. I won't spoil the ending in case any one of you ever decides to read it. The topic of friendship reminded me of my friend, Melodee. You can see a picture of us together last year for Thanksgiving.

Most of you probably don't know I have a Twin. Her name is Melodee Cooper and we met in 7th grade as 12-year olds. We had several classes together, the most memorable of which was P.E. Since her maiden name started with a "B" and mine with a "C" we were always seated near each other when the seating was alphabetical. She had just moved from another state, and I was looking for a friend after going through a very rough couple of years trying to make friends after moving to a new small town. Our friendship sprouted that year almost instantly. I remember the first time she invited me to her house. I was so nervous that we wouldn't have enough to talk about. Well, here we are 18 years later and we're still friends.

We dubbed each other Twin when we were in high school. More often than not we would arrive at school wearing nearly the same outfit without any prior planning. After awhile we just started calling each other "Twin." We have been through so much together: junior high, high school and all its drama, boys, living together as roommates, college, jobs, marriage, trying to get pregnant, and now the child-rearing years. There are SO many memories within those few words I just typed; too many to recount here.

Things that remind me of Mel are: dolphins, roses, leaves, movie quotes, Rush Limbaugh, Texas, yellow station wagons, U2 songs, teachers, and card games. Those are only the first 10 things that popped into my mind. Even though she is my Twin and we have many similarities, we are also very different. That is what melds us together, I think. Mel has always been that friend I could turn to no matter what. She will give me the brutal honest truth when I need it and sometimes when I don't want it, and I love her for it. She is always full of wisdom and good advice. I have always felt lacking in that compared to her. When she needs my support, I don't have that well of inspiration that she seems to have, and I have always hoped that I can offer the same kind of support and friendship she gives me. Our friendship is not one of those high-maintenance needy friendships. Now that we are older and have families of our own, sometimes we talk/email/blog to each other several times a week. Other times it may be several months. But no matter the amount of time that has lapsed, or the number of miles between our geographical locations, our friendship is always able to pick up as if we never missed a beat. Through the years our friendship has gone from a frienship between two young girls who shared their teenage ups and downs, to a friendship between two grown women who share bigger ups and downs with a friendship based on gratitude, faith, and unconditional love and understanding.

Thank you, Twin, for your friendship. Instead of sending you this in a private email, I wanted to blog about you. Besides, you are the one who suggested I start blogging in the first place and taught me Blogging 101. The book I finished reading today really made me think hard about our relationship, and how much I cherish our friendship. I cannot think of a better way to spend a day for myself than with my Twin, even if just through blogging--except maybe to actually spend it with you in person. :)

My other thought lately is that women need women, and thinking about friends only solidifies that thought. There is so much to be had in friendships between women. Here's to all the good friends out there (whether you are one or have one)! If you haven't said hello to yours in awhile, don't let another day go by without doing so.

2 comments:

  1. Awwwwwwww.
    "Enough about me-let's talk about you. What do YOU think of me?" (That's from "Beaches," for anyone not aware.)
    It's amazing how much has changed and all the experiences we've had since 7th grade. Yet, our friendship has remained a constant. It's amazing to remain friends for so long and throughout life's many changes, but those friends are often the ones you rely on the most. I have plenty of friends that I've made/keep in touch with since high school, but it's always so comforting to be able to talk to someone who knows pretty much all there is to know about you--past and present.
    I'm glad you got to have a Mommy day. You will do fine going back to work. I'm not gonna lie and say it's easy because it's not. Just find out what's most important and let the other things slide. (I learned how to put on my make-up in five minutes and I rarely did my hair in the morning--it was always pulled up. That's how I made extra time in the morning.)
    Love you!

    P.S. I thought of you the other week when the book club mentioned wanting to read "My Antonia." (Do you remember that awful project???) Needless to say, I will not be attending the book club meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I can't believe your heading back to work next week. Time flies! I'll be thinking of you. I remember thinking how tough it would be if I went back to work in October. Your a strong gal though! Still I'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete