Well, yesterday was our church Stake Conference. (For more on what that means, click on the link. In a nutshell, our church is organized by geographic location. Our local congregation we meet with every week is comprised of usually about 80 local families, which is what we call a "ward." A "stake" is usually about 5 wards closest in geographic location.) We have a conference twice a year where various church leaders speak, two conferences as a world-wide church (General Conference) and two ther conferences as a Stake (Stake Conference).
Yesterday our stake conference was a live broadcast of speakers from our church administration in Salt Lake City, UT. The last speaker was Elder Henry B. Eyring of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles. He spoke about families, about being as a little child, etc. His talk was full of ideas that struck me in ways I have never felt before I had a child. That is completely natural, of course, to have different ideas/thoughts/spiritual inspiration apply to whatever course of life you're in. As I sat there listening and contemplating his talk, several things struck me.
- It is important to read the scriptures to your children, even before they are able to understand the actual words (or able to read). I never thought about that before. I mean, I figured we'd start reading scriptures with Cooper when he was about 2-3 years old, when I can at least explain in children's terms what something means, or when he can follow some sort of story. But Elder Eyring had a good point. He said children are usually eager to listen to the word of the Lord, even if they don't understand the WORDS because they can FEEL an understand the SPIRIT that they will feel when hearing the word of God. They that when they hear the scriptures read, they feel happy and good. I had never thought about that, but totally agree. How often do we underestimate our children's spirituality?
- I know from personal experience in my own family growing up that giving children the opportunity to pray is also especially important. As we have family prayer and give our children the opportunity to pray specifically for other family members, that child develops a stronger bond with those family members. It also helps children learn how to speak to their Heavely Father and recognize him as a true being they're speaking to when they are able to pray for specific things and not just ramble off a little rote prayer.
I'm having a brain cramp as I try to write this, which is unfortunate. I wish I had taken notes (yeah right--with a fussy baby?), or at least written things down when I got home. Meant to blog about it yesterday afternoon, but time slipped away from me. Well, at least I got two main points recorded for my future reference.
It's just amazing how having a child deepens your feelings. We were watching a show on the History channel the other day, and it spurred our feeling of needing to be more ready for emergency situations--more than we are now. With a child dependent on us for his sustenance, no matter what situation we may be in, it makes emergency preparedness much more of a priority. We have plans to ready our food storage, water storage, emergency kits, camping gear, make a family fire escape plan, a plan for what to do if something happened while Cooper is at the babysitter and we are at work...and the list goes on and on. Never before have Nathan and I felt such an urgency to get more prepared than we are currently for whatever may or may not happen. Kids change everything...
I thought about you yesterday during the conference, knowing that we shared the same region. I had many of the same thoughts about family and children....and about not being able to take notes, let alone hear more than 30% of the talks, due to my wild child. I wondered what you picked up from the speakers and how it compared to my thoughts, so I'm glad you shared!
ReplyDeleteAmen Sista!! There is nothing like having a child. Everything changes. All of a sudden so many of your top priorities you had prior to your kid are not even on the bottom of your list. Things definitely change. I hear you on the emergency preparedness. That is my theme this year for my FRG. We are helping the families become more prepared, especially for the times when our hubbies are gone. What happens if the emergency arrives and your hubby is out of town? I am doing a monthly challenge for the wives. If they complete the challenge and email me, I enter their name in a raffle/drawing. There will be one challenge per month this year. This months challenge is to locate your gas valve and learn exactly what tools are needed and how to turn off your gas. If you would like I could send the challenge to you each month. And one other thing I heard at an Emergency Preparedness Seminar this last fall. Lets say a huge earthquake hits. Now the cell phones are not working because the satellites are busy for local phone calls. So when the disaster hits you, your family should have an out of state contact. The calls from state to state will not be having the trouble like the in state calls. So for us in Utah we need to have a family discussion and designate you guys our contact. And vice versa. I could go on. Blah Blah, I will send you stuff as I learn more this year. I am hoping to get a Homeland Security Emergency Preparedness Dude to come and speak to us (the unit). I am so excited for this year! Love you!
ReplyDelete