A few of you have commented that it looks like all we do is have fun. Lest you be deceived, here is a glimpse into a big chuck of the rest of my life. Usually I talk to Nathan about my work nightmares, and I know I have to be careful what I post here in case anyone from work ever found this blog, but at least I can vent a little. And if you find this part of my life boring, then just skip this blog.
So I got a promotion at work last week, which I should be able to be excited about, but there is no immediate raise, just a lot of extra work. Yeah, just what I needed, I know. But I couldn't pass up the opportunity. My boss left for another position within the company, and I was offered part of his job (only part because they can't hire another Analyst right now, and so they split the job between two of us). I am excited about it nonetheless since I have been working really hard over the past year to get this.
Today was the day it was announced to the rest of the group, and it did not go over well. You see, I'm the new kid on the block. My one year anniversary at work is in a few days. All the others have at least 6 months to 3 years on me (yeah, not an impressive amount, but they have seniority nonetheless). All my co-workers or peer-level workers are at least 4 years older than me. So not only am I the newest, I'm also the youngest. Oh, did I mention that I'm white? Yeah, that really pissed me off. Wait no, how was it said to me exactly? "White and uneducated." Yeah, that's it. What the?! Hey now, I've worked my tail off (I have no tail, so I must have worked it off) over the last year, and done all the necessary networking and rubbing shoulders with bigwigs and such. Oh, and I've totally outshined all my co-workers as far as workload, performance, etc. So tell me again why I don't deserve this?
So at the end of the conference call with our new boss, my co-workers just got up and walked out. No congratulations. No comments about being crazy for doing this for no additional pay. Nothing. And then they avoided me all day--the people I usually talk to every day and go to lunch with and such. It was really crappy. On top of that I have a huge amount of work to get done this week and none of that is going smoothly either. Roadblocks--merely roadblocks.
Tomorrow better be better. I'm going to go out of my mind if it's like this every day. But on the bright side...I got a laptop to bring home so I can work from home (as soon as I can get the VPN access I'll be great). No more late nights alone at the office, which I'm especially glad for now that it's getting darker in the evenings again. I also got to start moving into the corner office with.....drumroll please.....WINDOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, it deserves that many exclamation points. After living in cubeland for the last year and never seeing the outside world, I am estatic at getting an office with windows. So hooray for that! :) That makes it all worth it.
One Last Party
3 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment