Monday, January 19, 2009

Say Hello to Lola

For several months now Nathan and I have been discussing bringing an addition to our family. While we would love an addition in human form, we have also been talking about additions in the canine form as well. Ever since we had to get rid of our dogs several years ago, we've been wanting more, but I kept saying there is no way I'm having a dog in a 1-bedroom, 800 sf apartment. As such, we put a deposit down on a lab (black or yellow--Nathan hasn't made up his mind yet) that will be born in June, perfect for when we move. That will be HIS dog, his hunting buddy, his graduation present.

So what about me? I have wanted a little dog for quite some time, a dog that will be MY pet, that can sit on my lap and snuggle. After looking at puppies over the last few months, I finally settled on Boston Terriers. When the weekend began we had no intention of adding a puppy to our home, but things changed. It all started when we stopped at WalMart on Saturday. There was a a pet store nearby and we went in to see if they had food, etc. for our fish. They also had puppies. That started it. Nathan kept saying how fun it would be to have something to love, blah, blah, blah. I kept saying no, citing aforesaid reasons for not having a dog in the apartment.

We came home, and Nathan started looking online at Boston Terrier pups, and found several litters within a few hours drive, old enough to be purchased. We discussed it, and I finally broke. I decided that I'm tired of waiting for things--my job to get better, Nathan to graduate, to get pregnant, to get a dog. You get the picture. I decided that this is something that I want and that I could do right NOW. So I relented.

So yesterday after church we packed up the car and drove 4 hours south (almost to Savannah, GA) to see some pups. I wanted a girl, and there were 3 available from one litter. Needless to say, say hello to Lola, the newest addition to our family.



She's about 6 inches tall, and 10 inches long--small enough to fit in the foot space under the kitchen counters. She was GREAT on the 4 hour drive home, and had a great first night. I actually got 6 hours of sleep. Because she's not used to the apartment just yet, I'm working from home today so I can bond with my puppy. This is the best Monday I've had--well, just about ever.

5 comments:

  1. Cute cute cute! She is so adorable. Sorry I was so standoffish at church. I had just gotten over the flu and had a cough and just didn't want to really get too close to anyone.

    Your puppy is a very cute addition to the family.
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first thing you think of is the song, right? La, la, la, la Lola. But that’s not it at all.
    I wanted something “southern” sounding since we got her here in GA. The list of names I had were…

    Betsy Sue
    Georgia Girl
    Dixie
    Clover
    Maggie
    Maisy
    or
    Lola

    I was pretty set on Dixie or Maisy, but then when we got her, the name just didn’t fit. Lola just stuck.
    Nate wants to call her “Lo”, but I think then everyone will think we named her after that girl on The Hills on MTV. So Lola it is.
    And of course, I’ve been singing the song in my head all day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness she is so adorable! I want to hold her and lover her but that is so hard from this distance. I am so glad you decided to just get her now. They add so much love to the family. Even when they are being stinkers like Ruby today. She has no ears for me this morning I don't know what has gotten into her she is restless and we have only been up for 30 min. I think Lola fits her name perfectly. She is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok I just read my last post and I am totally laughing I wrote "lover" her.... uh oops meant love her cuddle her...ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete