For Mother's Day Nathan and Cooper gave me a sewing machine, my first NEW sewing machine. I'm not counting the one Mom and Dad bought at an auction when I was a kid. Nope, this one was purchased espeially for me. Thinking I'd be waiting until Christmas for such a gift, I had borrowed a friend's to start a sewing project.
Now, those of you who know me well are probably wondering whether you are reading the right blog because for years I've really not liked anything to do with sewing, and said why make something when you can buy it for less and pay someone else to do it. I just never had that desire to sew.
It wasn't the birth of my own first child, or the birth of six other neices and nephews that spurred my desire to sew. It was my 4th neice, my sister's first daughter that finally was my muse. Without a pattern to follow, not having really sewn anything significant (requiring more than a few straight stitches) in about 10 years, I decided to attempt to make a quilt for my neice. My sister made a BEAUTIFUL quilt for Cooper, and so although this was her second child, I really wanted to do this for her.
Six weeks later, spending ALL my spare time on it, I finally finished this quilt in June just days before Jaisie was born. There was no blogging during this time. In fact, there was very little else every night after Cooper went to bed, and on the weekends. As Nathan liked to point out to me every night, I spent more time unpicking than actually sewing. I was so pleased to be finished. It didn't turn out perfect, and I was a little embarrassed to give this first attempt to someone outside my own household, but as I said when I finished, "It is what it is."
So here is the first reason I haven't blogged in a very long time--at least 6 weeks of it....

My next project...hem the bottom of a dress I bought that's too long for me, and then I might attempt some curtains for our living room....we'll see how brave I get.
Now I know the reason you've been MIA from your blog! I am starting to get the sewing itch, too!
ReplyDelete