Lately things at work have been going really well. Tonight at dinner, Nate and I were talking about my career and how it seems to be on the verge of a major breakthrough. I'm just steps away from some kind of promotion or something. It's not been without effort, lots of stress, and lots of hours. I've always thrown myself in to my work with full dedication. I've not ever had a job that I've thought of as "just a paycheck." I attribute this work ethic to my parents, and to growing up working for my Dad. It's been a blessing in my career, and always pays off.
I love my job. LOVE it. Sure, there are frustrating, stressful things about it, but I enjoy going to work every day. How many people get to say that, especially about an office job? I sit and analyze reports and numbers every day, telling people when I see a project about to lose money, or where we can make more money, and managing the financials for all kinds of engineering/planning projects. I love that I get to use my mind every day. Most days my work is like number mysteries that I get to research and resolve, both things bring me satisfaction--the research and finding solutions. The only aspect of my current job I don't particularly enjoy is managing people. Employee personal drama is not something I enjoy dealing with. Even the corporate politics, while sometimes annoying, don't really bother me. It's like a game sometimes, and knowing the right players and the right steps makes it fun. The other aspect I enjoy is teaching/training others how to do a job. I enjoy teaching someone a skill, and then seeing them do well. All these things give me a sense of fulfilment, as far as work is concerned.
All this is well and good, but tonight as Nathan and I discussed some things that are going really well with my career, it may seem tempting to some to stick with it and gain a great career out of it. There are many opportunities just around the corner if I continue down this path. BUT...
As I was home with my sick child this last Monday, having to take the full day off work, even though he was sick, I really enjoyed it. While somethings were not as fulfilling as they can be in the office setting, and my child doesn't give me recognition for the things I do in the same way I get recognition at work, I found that day to be one of the best I've had in a long time. So while my career is at the cusp of something great (for me anyway), I can actually say I'm ready to quit and be a full-time mom.
Now I know staying home full-time is not as romantic as it sounds. I know that it's tiring work, without a nice hour-long lunch break to myself every day, and that it's also round the clock. I know that there will be days that I'll wonder to myself, "Why did I choose this?" But feel deep down that there is no greater purpose in life, no greater thing I can accomplish, than to mother and raise my own kids. I find such joy and fulfillment in being a mother.
So soon I'll put my career on the back burner, knowing full well that it means that I'll probably be 45 or 50 before I'm back where I am currently on the career ladder, and may never achieve in my career what I could if I stayed working full-time. But I choose my son. I can't wait to quit. Not something I'll probably ever say about anything else in my life. I've never been a quitter, but this is the one thing I'll quit. A million times I'd choose him. Whole-heartedly.
So future self, remember this on those days when you ask, "Why did I choose this?".
One Last Party
3 years ago
Very sweet post Chrystal. I know you do your job really well. I agree with you, that you do give 100% to everything. I hope you find even more satisfaction staying at home with your little man. There isn't an hour lunch break but there are naps and naps aren't always for household chores. They are also for regaining sanity. Good luck Chrystal!!
ReplyDelete