Monday, August 20, 2012

Barbies, Boys and Dates

 Grammie has Camyll/Chelsey/Cassady's old Barbie doll house in the guest room at her house.  At first Cooper was confused by this little house that is only just taller than he.  He wondered whether it was for climbing onto the roof, and then jumping onto the bed, something he tried repeatedly and earned repeated time-outs for.  I had to explain to him that it's for pretending to play house, and showed him the different rooms and furniture "like ours."  He's such a boy!  Can you tell we have nothing of the sort in our house?!
Sometime after, we were in our room and I noticed him putting the baby in the crib, and putting the blanket on, the Mommy kissing the baby good night, and then going to her room, and putting the blanket on.  That was his favorite thing to do--tuck them in bed.  Well, it's a toss up between that and playing trains with the furniture (see pic below)... At least the grandsons have figured out how to play with those girl toys!

Cooper and Calvin were such a pair!  One day I was babysitting Cal for Camyll and after lunch we went out back to play.  All three of us ended up on the double hammock.  As we were swinging, Cal was playing something.  Suddenly he popped up and shouted, "I gotta go to work!"  I said, "Why Cal, what you gotta do at work that's so important?"  He thought for a second and said, "Celebrate!"  I said, "Celebrate what?  Do you know what it means to celebrate?"  He said, "Ummmm, work!"  So I turned to Cooper and asked him if he knew what it meant to celebrate.  Coop said, "Eat food!"
So there you have it--apparently Calvin's parents are great examples of a good work ethic, and all Coop's parents do for a good time is eat food.  Nice.
They really did crack me up.  This kind of nonsense was non-stop with them.


 Many times we'd be driving somewhere, and I'd notice the beautiful mountains and spectacular sunsets.  Oh how I've missed those sunsets!!!  We just don't have anything like them in the South; I think the mountain silhouettes make it extra breathtaking, that and the fact that there aren't a million trees blocking your view.  So one night driving home on the freeway, I had to snap a shot.  Picture isn't anything near like it was in person.  Boo hoo.  Guess I'll just have to remember them in my own memory.
 Quick--take a picture!!  Since I've been a stay-at-home mom, there have only been a few times I've gone an entire day without putting on some makeup, but there are FEW days when I do more than a ponytail or messy bun with my hair.  It's just too hot outside, and I'm too busy cleaning and/or chasing my toddler around to do much else.  What's the point?  Seeing me with my hair actually "done" is like spotting a jackalope.
Well, while in Utah, since we had free babysitting (THANK YOU CHELSEY AND STETTSEN!!!), Nate and I went out on an actual date, and I actually did my hair and put on some nice clothes.  Nate hates having his picture taken, knowing that more than likely it'll end up on the blog, so I snapped one of myself that night, since it's a rare occasion that I get done up.  Had to capture the moment.
Our date was WONDERFUL.  We went to dinner at Epic, our most favorite restaurant of all time in Utah.  After not being there for 3 years, the food hadn't changed a bit, which we were ecstatic about.  After dinner we didn't want the night to end yet, so we drove out to the Oquirrh Hills Temple and walked the grounds, since we'd never been to that temple before.  It was a beautiful night with perfect weather, no bugs, a gorgeous sunset, and fireworks going off all over the Salt Lake Valley, so we sat and watched our own private fireworks show.  In honor of being in Utah, we ended our date night with a treat at Cold Stone.  Nate was skeptical that it'd still be open since it was after 10 pm.  I was like, "Are ya kidding?  We're in Utah, the ice cream-eating capital of the world!!"  And true to form, we were met by a line nearly out the door.  I love Utah.

No comments:

Post a Comment