Thursday, June 27, 2013

More Fun with Grammie and Papa

Last week the day my Dad was here, Hudson turned 5 weeks old. The boys with their Grandpa: Cooper 3-1/2 years, Hudson 5 weeks to the day.
Cooper, Papa, Grammie and Hudson
Cooper and Papa played t-ball for a bit. Cooper had so much fun hitting the ball and then giggling and squealing as Grandpa chased him around the bases. Sometimes Coop would make it back to home plate, and sometimes he was tagged out. He loved every minute, and I loved watching them together and cheering for Coop to hit or run.
Not often I get a picture of me and my Dad.
Papa also took Cooper for a bike ride down to see the stream, and then came back and found fun things to do, like climb trees, and make a tree swing, even if the swing was a board and some rope. Cooper was ecstatic that Grandpa helped him do both these things, but was disappointed that Papa wouldn't build him a tree house lickety-split.
While my Mom was here, we went walking every day as part of my recovery.  At first I could barely make it down the driveway and back, then 50 feet down the road, and little by little every day I was able to make it a bit farther. I looked forward to these walks because for a few weeks they were sometimes the only time I got out of the house all day.
On some of our later evening walks we encountered wildlife like foxes, rabbits, and such. Mom couldn't get over the "red birds" (cardinals) and blue jays. But our favorite were the fireflies. I still love them just as much as the first time I saw them in Nauvoo, IL when I ws 19 years old. Fireflies don't exist west of the Mississippi river, that I know of. My obsession of them was mirrorred by my Mom, and must have rubbed off on Cooper, who now looks for them every night. So when Papa came to town, we stayed up a little past bed time and Cooper went out to catch fireflies with Grammie and Papa. They caught 5 and put them in Cooper's "bug box." Coop was so excited.
At bedtime, Papa read Cooper some stories.
The next day before heading to the airport, we took Grammie and Papa out to eat at our favorite local Mexican restaurant, La Unica. Cooper shared a Mexican hot chocolate with Grammie, and had the mustache to prove it.
I sure appreciate all my parents did and have done for me and my family. Recovering from Hudson's birth would have been so difficult without their support, my Mom being here and doing so much, and my Dad sacrificing for her to be here for so long. I cried like a baby as they drove away to the airport. I miss them so much, and wish they could be a part of my sons' lives on a daily basis, rather than a few times a year.  We sure do love and miss them!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment