Thursday, June 6, 2013

Tears and Laughter

Today was a great day for me personally.  I had enough energy to run errands with my Mom for most of the day, and it felt so good to be out and about.  Unfortunately our outings started with a visit to the pediatrician for our little "Huddy Buddy" as we've started calling him, because lately he's been more and more like this...
Hudson 3 weeks old--wearing the outfit Cooper came home from hospital in
 The last three days Hudson has completely changed from a somewhat gassy/upset stomach baby who was finally getting on a good day/night and feeding routine, to one that wouldn't sleep for more than 15 minutes when placed on his back, who would scream at the top of his lungs when laid down, who spits up so often that I wonder how he's gaining any weight, who rears back and cries when he burps/spits up, who seems to have uncontrollable upset stomach, and who constantly unlatches when eating.  What was the most upsetting for me was not holding him all through the night so we could both get some sleep, not the extra laundry (especially since my Mom is the one who has been doing that so far), not the pacing and trying to console him--it was his cry.  It's not the amount of crying that bothers me; I'm nearly immune to a crying baby causing me any stress.  What got to me was the SOUND of his cry.  Newborn babies have cries that sound different for being hungry, having air in their stomach, air in their intestines, being tired, and being uncomfortable.  Hearing Hudson's PAIN cry over and over and over was wrenching my heart.  I wanted to cry with him, poor little guy.
So this morning I was telling my mom about yet another sleepless night, and then Hudson was crying and fussing, and she suggested I call the doctor since this behavior is NOT normal.  I figured that if my mom, who has six kids, felt like I should have Hudson seen by a doctor, then I wasn't just seeing all these symptoms in a hypochondriac manner, and that something may really be wrong.  Thank goodness for a pediatrician who LISTENED to me.  After hearing my concerns, holding Hudson, and seeing his behaviors for himself, the doctor said it's probably exactly what I thought it was, and he felt for me since his youngest son had it as well.  GERD.  Gastroesophigal Reflux Disease, or Reflux.  I've had my fingers crossed the last week or two that Hudson wouldn't have it like Cooper did, since I started seeing some of the symptoms.  But alas, it seems he is another unlucky baby in our family to be plagued by reflux.
Hudson 3 Weeks, Cooper 3-1/2 Years
 On the bright side, it IS controllable with medication, and he will outgrow it eventually.  Cooper outgrew it at 20 months, longer than it takes for most, so maybe Huddy Buddy will outgrow it sooner.  And some other good news from the doctor's office, Hudson weighed 10 lbs. 4 oz. today with his diaper and clothes on, so I'm guessing he's just below 10 lbs in his birthday suit.  The kid is starting to fill out--bring on the chubbers!

Meanwhile, we have been enjoying the outdoors (armed with bug spray and citronella--pesky mosquitos!!!).  The other night I went for a walk with Cooper and my Mom, and on the way home there were fireflies everywhere!  It was a beautiful reminder that summer is finally here.
 Hudson LOVES to be outside, just like his mommy and brother.  If he's fussy, I'll often take him outside and he'll calm down.  Thank goodness for those quiet moments and the enjoyable weather!
I also spent some time with Cooper today.  This morning I had a few minutes, and he put on a magic show for me.  He and my Mom saw a magician at the mall the other day, and apparently he was paying more attention to the magician than she thought.  Here's a little video of some of what he was doing.  It made me smile.
Then this afternoon we played t-ball.  Cooper was hitting the ball (he's just learning), and Brody would retrieve it for us while Cooper ran the bases.  He thinks it necessary to "slide" into home plate, which really means he stops running and sits down, then lays down.  It was also pretty funny when I first showed him where he should stand; he wouldn't move his feet at all, not even to get the ball!  He was leaning over and stretching to reach it.  Mom and I were stifling some laughter.  Pretty cute.  We had a fun time!



No comments:

Post a Comment