Thursday, December 6, 2012

Bring on Christmas!

The day after Thanksgiving we pulled out the Christmas decorations and purchased a Christmas tree.  It was a very warm day, and even towards evening, we were just wearing light jackets and long-sleeved shirts.  It felt a little strange buying a Christmas tree on such a warm day.
 It took us a few days, but we finally got the tree decorated.  As is our family tradition, Cooper received a new ornament to put on the tree, and what would be more fitting for this boy than a tractor?  He was disappointed it wasn't for playing, but only for hanging on the tree.  Our family ornament was a little beach house from our trip to Folly Beach, SC in September.
The Christmas decorations have been up, and I still haven't taken pictures of them all, but our house is fully ready to celebrate the Christmas season.  I'm most thankful this year to have a place to safely display my nativity set, the top of my newly-acquired piano!  I've been telling Cooper the story of the first Christmas, the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ.  I was pleased one night as we were playing Christmas songs on the piano, and he stopped and pointed to the nativity, and said, "Mom, that's Mary and baby Jesus.  She wrapped him in swaddling clothes."  To explain, my nativity has the baby Jesus in Mary's arms, instead of in the manger.  Then he said, "And that's the manger with hay because there was no room in the hotel."  My heart was beaming that he'd learned this enough to tell me himself.  I asked who the other figurines were, and he said, "The three wise kings who brought the baby Jesus presents, and the guys who take care of the sheep."  I am so happy that our son is learning the true reason we celebrate Christmas--the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ--because without Him, death would have been the end for us all.  I love this time of year, and being able to celebrate for an entire month!

No comments:

Post a Comment