Our 4th of July started off slowly. Cooper, Nate and Poppy went fishing on the boat. Cooper was so excited. I didn't get any pictures of them before they left because Hudson and I had got up early to go to the grocery store early to beat some of the crowds. Hudson was sure to wear red, white, and blue!
While the boys were gone, MeMaw had filled the kiddie pool on the deck, so when Cooper got back, he was ready for a swim. He said, "Mom, this pool is heated!"

He and MeMaw had a great time playing in the pool together. I waded a little with him too. Cooper kept saying "Hey" to get MeMaw's attention. I told him her name was MeMaw. He said, "She doesn't look like a MeMaw, she looks like a Hey."

In the evening we went to a pig roast/ potluck cookout with some of Nathan & Michele's friends. We had delicious food, and good company. From the minute we arrived until we left, Hudson was passd around and fawned over. It was a nice break for me! Everyone loved our boys. Cooper was quite a hit, not being shy at all, the way he is aroind adults, and introducing himself to everyone as "Cooper James Smiff."
Cooper made a friend named Jacob, and they had a great time playing corn hole.

After dinner we headed to the beach in Emerald Isle to watch the fireworks show. I couldn't find my phone when we got there, so no pictures of us on the beach. Hudson slept in the baby carrier the whole time, while Cooper primarily played in the sand. He did watch the fireworks for a few minutes, but then went back to playing in the sand. He even buried his own feet and legs up to his thighs. It was getting rather dark, and he said, "Mom, look at my flipper." He had somethin sticking out of his mouth, and I asked what it was. He said it was his flipper, "See how it flips up and down?" I asked Nate to see what it was...a cigarette butt. Yuuuuuck!!!!! Kids.

The weather was perfect all day/ night, and there was a breeze steong enough to prevent mosquitoes from bothering us. The fireworks were perfect. It was a great day. We got home, and Nate's sister, Abby, and her girls, Haleigh and Stella, were at the house to sleep over so we could go to the beach the next day. We all stayed up late chatting on the deck. It was wonderful to visit with some of our family we don't see often.
As for the purpose of the day, to commemerate independence of our great nation, I thought about those fateful days in 1776 and all leading up to it (based on what I've read in the book 1776), and how God certainly had a hand in shaping our great nation. I am so thankful for those faithful and determined me and women who had a vision of freedom, sought it, and fought for it from those first pilgrims and everything from then leading up to 1777, and all the wars fought and strife endured in between and since then, all in the name of freedom. I am proud to be an American, and I'm thankful for those whose sacrifices have made this country great. It's important to remember them and God on this great day of celebration. Happy birthday, America!

No comments:
Post a Comment