Friday, February 7, 2014

A Little Different New Year's--2014

We were blessed to get to stay in Utah long enough for New Year's this time.  We usually have to come home after Christmas, and end up spending New Year's Eve alone.  I was so excited to get to spend it with my family this year.
Well....it didn't quite turn out as hoped or planned.
First, we all got sick.  I mean really sick.  Boys had double ear infections, coughs, sinus stuff, fevers, the works.  Nate still had bronchitis, and I'd caught a little cold.  We gave it to my poor parents too.  My sister, Camyll, and her kids had the same cold.  My poor older brother, Jayson, was deathly ill with what was later diagnosed as H1N1--sheesh--poor guy! And because we were all sick, Chelsey and Stettsen couldn't come visit with new little baby Terra!  All in all, we were a bunch of sickies, and not sure whether we all had the same virus/bacteria, so we didn't get to hang with much family for New Year's.
Secondly, my poor mother's washing machine went kaput.  We all had loads of laundry to do, and had been doing loads and loads, which is probably what put it over the edge.  That thing was running pretty much non-stop from the time we all walked in the door.  Being nearly out of clean clothes, Mom and I spent a good portion of the day on New Year's Eve at the local laundromat.  It was an adventure, and made us VERY thankful to have our own washing machines because no one should have to pay that much to do laundry!  It was like a flashback to my Boston days, hauling laundry to/from (but at least this time we had a car!).  But we did have Hudson with us.  Good times!
That night Mom and Dad had to go to the MTC or something (my memory fails me), so we were at the house by ourselves for awhile.  Cooper and I decided to seize the moment, and had our own dance party in the living room for awhile.  We really had a fun time!
Later that night Cassady and George braved our germs and came to hang out with us.  We played card games and Scrabble all night until close to midnight.  Then Hudson woke up crying, and so I got to spend the actual midnight festivities trying to console my sick baby and get him back to sleep.  It was a New Year's to remember, and one I hope not to repeat in the future.  Too much sickness!
New Year's Day I decided to be lazy and do NOTHING.  Seriously, we were in our pajamas until sometime in the afternoon.  I had a great time doing a big puzzle with my parents, especially my Dad.  There was one point when it was just me and Dad (no kids!) working on the puzzle together, and I had one of those "savor this moment forever" moments.  We used to always do a big puzzle on New Year's when I was growing up, and it was the one time Dad usually participated.  So it was a bit nostalgic for me, and I loved every minute of it.
Since we were all contagious, Camyll's kids couldn't come over for a visit on New Year's day, but she braved a visit herself for a bit.  When she got there, she couldn't believe we were all still in our pjs and doing a puzzle for fun.  Camyll has never liked puzzles.  At one point she asked, "So is it the unspoken consensus that we're doing this puzzle until it's done?!"  We all looked at her like--duh.  And this was her response...
By the end, we were a little slap-happy.
Then we had a giggle fest, and even Mom was in on it.
Hudson decided to be silly.
My sweet boy and his Grammie.
After a not-so-great New Year's Eve (if it hadn't been for Cass and George playing games with me, it coulda gone down in history as one of the worst, minus the little dance party with my boys), New Year's day made up for it.  It was a good, good day at home with some of my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment