Sunday, June 15, 2014

Hudson's 1st Birthday and 12 Month Milestones

Hudson had a great first birthday.  His actual birthday was not so great, since that is the day Nathan got in a wreck (not his fault).  He was ok physically, but his SUV had $17K+ in damages.  Thankfully we were celebrating Hudson's birthday a few days later, and so were able to enjoy the day fully, and make it about him.
This is my favorite picture of him.  I wish this blogging software would allow me to turn it.  Sometimes it just likes to be difficult.  But I love this picture sideways too. ;)
Those who were able to celebrate Hudson's big day with us were: Aunt Denise, Uncle Jim, Allison, and friends Tammy and Braden Blanton.  Being busy hostessing and visiting, I forgot to take a group picture.  Boo hoo.
Huddy wasn't too sure about the candle or the singing, so we tried not to make that part too big of a deal, since I recalled how Cooper burst into tears when we sang at his 1st birthday.
Since I didn't let Coop get too into his 1st birthday cake, not wanting the mess, this time I decided no holds barred, took off Hudson's shirt, and let him go to town on his smash cake.
This was the cake for the rest of us.  And lest you think I made it, let me remind you of the Curious George fiasco of 2012.  To this day I still can't even think about making frosting without gagging.  So, no, I'll never be one to make my kids' birthday cakes.  It's so worth the $20 to just pick it up and have a yummy cake without the stress!
He was a little timid at first, not really sure what to do, so we took a slice out for him.
He finally tasted it.
And then he was like, "Oh man!"
Most of it was smashed between closed fists or pushed aside to the floor.
Ta-da!
Mmmmmm...
He was COVERED from head to toe in frosting--not the easiest stuff to wash off with baby soap.

We had to hose him off in the kitchen sink before heading for the tub.
Then it was time to open presents.  I love this picture because it showcases Hudson's rather LARGE feet.  He's had them since birth, and they continue to remain large.  Yesterday I had to find the toddler size 6 shoes for him.  He's wearing shoes/socks for 18-24 months.  I'm waiting for that growth spurt that catches him up with is feet!
12 month growth stats:
- Weight: 22 lbs. 4 oz. (60th percentile)
- Height: 29 inches (50th percentile)
- Head Circumference: 19 inches (75th percentile)
He had lots of help from Cooper and Braden when opening presents.
As soon as he opened it, he was very interested in this gift from Aunt Denise, a toy with a hammer and balls.
He loves to be read to, and enjoyed the birthday cards.
Um, Dad, can you stop visiting and open that cool toy for me?

The handsome little birthday boy: Hudson at 1 year old
At 12 months old Hudson is BUSY.  He is into EVERYTHING.  One of his favorite things to do is pull all the toilet paper off the roll and then bring it to me (we won't mention also playing in the toilet bowl water).  Whomever leaves the bathroom door open gets to clean up the mess.  Except that it is usually Cooper leaving it open, so now I bypass at least the toilet paper mess by keeping the toilet paper on the top/back of the toilet.  So if you come to our house and see no toilet paper, you'll know why.
This particular day he brought it to me in the kitchen, and then made a game of dropping it between my legs, going to get more, and repeating.  The things he finds funny and interesting...
Huddy has gone from walking to CLIMBING E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G.  One day it got really quiet in the bonus room, which I hadn't fully unpacked yet.  I found Hudson up on the guest bed.  He'd wriggled his way up there somehow, not an easy feat.  He was proudly playing with a box full of spare electronics wires, pulling them all out.
Church with this little tyke is a bit of a nightmare.  We're lucky to make it through the first 15-20 minutes before one of us is either chasing him down the aisle, or taking him out in the hall.  Nathan takes him during Sunday School, most of which is spent in the hall because he's too distracting to others in class.  Then I relieve a stressed Daddy 3rd hour so he can get some semblance of spiritual nutrition, while I wrangle the little guy in the midst of my Primary calling, which is pretty low-key 3rd hour, so a lot of that is spent in the hallway as well.  We all look forward to the day in 6 months when Hudson can go to nursery, Hudson included, I think. (I do keep him in Primary for singing time, which he likes--for about 5 minutes).
This is another one of Hudson's favorite things to do.  I pick up these bowls at least 10 times a day.  I'd leave them out, but I can't get around them to cook or do dishes.  But that's why that cabinet isn't locked like the others.  The cabinet next to it has a bowl full of cookie cutters that he loves to spill out all over the floor.  Those also get picked up multiple times a day.
About 2 weeks ago Hudson started really "talking," which is good because at his 12 month checkup the doctor asked if he talks yet, and I was like, "No.  Should he?"  I wasn't stressed about it until she asked.  But to my relief, he started verbalizing a few weeks later.
One particular day I will remember forever: the first time he called me "Mommy."  I was in the kitchen, Hudson in the playroom, and he called out, "Mommy?!  Mommy!?"  And came looking for me.  It was the full word--so sweet.  Now he's reduced it to just "mom."

Other "words" he uses:
Da-da: Daddy
Dee:  Huddy (he sometimes says his own name when looking in the mirror)
Muh: Milk
Nah or See: Paci
Nuh-nuh: I'm hungry
Ow: Outside
Ah (with hads held out to side): All done eating
He says "Ahhhh" when you get ready to brush his teeth
Hudson understands most things you say to him, and can follow simple 2-step instructions, like, "Go find your lovey and paci, and then we'll read a story."

He LOVES to be read to, and will stalk you follow you around carrying books and begging, until you relent and read one, or 10, or the same one 10 times.  Mostly the latter.  One book with lots of flaps to lift, and various vehicle sounds (thanks for that little gem, Mom ;)--it was a gift to Cooper years ago), Hudson carried around for days.  Nate and I must have read it to him like 100 times, not exaggerating.  I finally decided one night when picking up the playroom that that book would just quietly disappear for awhile.  I just couldn't read it one.more.time.  He was so sad looking for it the next day, and I felt bad, but not bad enough to get the thing back out, so I helped him find another that seemed to make him just as happy.
His favorite books are "Pat the Bunny" (although this one is finally waning--thank goodness--it's been his favorite since Christmas), a picture book of animals, a counting book of pictures from Boston, and "Beddy-Bye Baby."  He DOES NOT like "I Love You Through and Through," which was one of Cooper's favorites.  He'll close it and throw it on the floor if you try to read it.  I haven't yet figured out what he doesn't like about it.
He's very particular about everything.

I did finally find some fruit he'll eat.  Actually, his eating in general is getting better.  He is still very attached to bottles of milk, but that's not something I'm ready to stress about tackling just yet.

Hudson's other love is to be outside.  Just this weekend Nathan taught him how to hold onto the handle bars and push the button, and ride Cooper's powered 4-wheeler (for 2-3 yr olds) by himself.  This is both a blessing and a curse.  At least it distracts him from his obsession with the tricycle, which is altogether too big for him still.  He loves to swing and go down the slide, but prefers to try to go UP the slide like Cooper.  If he could do everything Cooper does, I think he'd be in heaven.  He idolizes his older brother.  I am in SO much trouble in a year or two when the two of them will be running around, collaborating together.
Tomorrow Hudson turns 13 months old.  I'm not ready for my baby to be a toddler--oh wait, too late.
Happy 1st birthday, Hudder Bean!

No comments:

Post a Comment