Saturday, April 6, 2013

Happy Easter!

Easter morning Cooper slept in, which was a curse for me, since Nate was out of town, and I was on my own to get us to church on time.  Nonetheless, we started off reading a children's version of the story of the first Easter, to remind us of the purpose of Easter, and help us focus on the Savior, Jesus Christ, and the Sabbath day.  We sang a few childrens' Easter songs from church that Cooper would be singing later that morning in Sacrament meeting with all the other Primary children, and we had a good discussion about the true meaning of Easter, which we'd been discussing for weeks, using childrens' books about it at bedtime and such.  Then I had to break the moment, and remind Cooper about the Easter Bunny.
At the mere mention, he was rearin' to go downstairs, and did NOT want to pose for decent picture.  I got this...
and this...
Crummy phone camera, but here he was following the jelly bean trail from the front door to the Easter baskets.
The bunny brought him a baseball mitt, tee ball stand, and a few other things.
Bubbles!
All spiffed up for church in his new clothes that he picked out himself (out of the four choices I'd given him at the store).  Took a picture in the same spot in my room that we did last year so we can compare his growth/change.
At church, Cooper was ecstatic to sing "Did Jesus Really Live Again?" and "Jesus has Risen" with the other Primary children (ages 3-11).  We were sitting on the very back row in the 3rd overflow, but I told him to get up and follow the music leader, who was sitting right in front of us, all the way to the front.  He confidently walked up, found a place right in front, folded his arms, and waited patiently to start.  He sang the songs really well, but the most memorable moment was during "Jesus has Risen."  All the other kids sang the first line, "Jesus has risen," while Coop seemed to be in la-la land.  Then while the other kids reverently sang the next line, "Jesus our friend," Cooper decided to play catch up, and LOUDLY sang "JESUS HAS RISEN!"  Most of the adults in the audience chuckled and smiled.  I heard him loud and clear all the way in the back, and just smiled to myself, proud of him for making an effort.  Such a sweet boy.

After church I wanted to get a good Easter picture of him, but once again he was not in the photo-taking mood, and this was the best I got--little stinker.
Later that afternoon we got together with is friend Braden from two houses down, and had an Easter egg hunt, first in our yard, and then in his.  These two are great friends, play VERY well together (never seen them fight yet, take turns well, etc.).  I am glad Cooper has a playmate so close to our house.  They're only two weeks apart in age.
Aunt Denise and Uncle Jim came up from South Carolina for the afternoon as well.  Cooper ran Aunt Denise ragged, taking her outside to explore the woods, and then over to Braden's house.  Poor Aunt Denise was a good sport, trying to keep up with his sugar-induced energy.  Uncle Jim and Nate (who got home early afternoon) watched college basketball games on tv, and I was busy cooking Easter dinner.  We had a nice dinner, and a really nice visit with Denise and Jim.  Cooper was SO sad to see them leave that night.  He loves his Aunt Denise like a grandmother, and hates to have those visits come to an end.  I don't know how I missed taking any pictures of them that day!  For me, it was a long, exhausting day (crazy sugar-hyper kids at church for two hours, Cooper having more sugar in one day than he usually consumes in a month, etc.), but it was also very enjoyable and fulfilling.  I love holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment