Saturday, October 10, 2009

Will my Saturdays ever be the same?

My Mom has been here taking care of me/us for 12 days now (I think--I am too tired to check my math and all the days are running together lately). She has been so amazing and I don't know what I would do without her here making us meals, cleaning my house, doing laundry (where did it all come from all of a sudden?), running to the grocery store or drug store, and keeping us sane with her third set of hands and reassurance only a mother can give. This morning while I was getting ready for the day after feeding the baby his morning feeding, I heard the vacuum running downstairs and was so thankful my mom was vacuuming the dog hair AGAIN. There seems to be no end to that either. I was feeling exhausted from the shower I just took and was sitting at my bathroom vanity seriously debating whether to put on any makeup and dry my hair, or just crawl back in bed with wet hair as I have several times in the last week, and try to sleep.

Today I mustered up what strength I had left and put on a full face of makeup and did my hair. WHEW! I mean, it was exhausting. Where did all my strenght, stamina, and energy go? I know, I know, I just had a baby 2 weeks ago, but COME ON! I am bored of this recovery bit and want my life back.

So as I was sitting there debating whether I had the energy to put makeup on, I heard the vacuum and wondered when/if I will ever have the strength to clean my own house again, cook my own meals again, or walk farther than down to the corner and back without being utterly pooped out. I am usually such a busy body; this is driving me crazy.

My "big day" today consisted of my mom driving me and baby to Babies R Us to buy diapers and wipes that were hugely on sale. We drove there (30 min), were there for MAYBE 45 min, and drove home via the scenic route so mom could see something in GA besides freeway. On the way home we stopped at Target and my mom went in while I sat in the car and fed the baby. I hadn't pumped enough and did not come prepared to nurse (I'll leave the details out), so we got to drive home the remaining 15 minutes with a SCREAMING baby. Maybe my mom is used to that after 32 years of mothering, but it stressed me out. We were gone a total of 3 hours and by the time we got home it was all I could do to stumble up the stairs to bed and crash for a 2 hour nap.

I used to get so much done on Saturdays. Will they ever be the same? (This is clearly a rhetorical question; I'm just venting here; Not looking for sympathy. Really.)

2 comments:

  1. Hey, even if you're not looking for sympathy, you get mine! The transition to being a Mom is a HUGE one, and it's probably the most difficult (and amazing) thing I've ever done. I'd never been so tired. BUT, everything in motherhood turns out to be a 'phase' . . . your kid's sleeping schedule, what does or does not calm him, clingyness, all of it lasts for only awhile, then you're on to something new. This so-tired-that-I'm-practically-the-walking-dead phase is just that, a phase. It'll be over before you know it, then the magic of motherhood makes you hardly remember it later on :-)

    Oh, and in my opinion . . . it never is the same again. Never. But you find a new normal, and it works good too! Good luck . . . these first few months are more tiring and tougher than anyone prepares you for, but nothing beats it either!

    He's gorgeous, and I'm so happy you're a new Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never the same, but you'll find equilibrium.

    ReplyDelete