Thursday, March 14, 2013

30 Weeks - What's in a Name

Naming a child is one of the challenges of having a baby. You want the name to be something that will fit the child not only through childhood, but through adulthood as well. You want it to be a name that won't cause the child undue ridicule or stress, it has to fit in your family, and sound good with your last name. There are so many options!

Driving to Nate's dad's for Christmas, we spent part of the long night drive making a list of names. We narrowed it down to five that we both really liked, and had variations of middle names as well. After mulling over the list for three months, at long last we've arrived at a name for this baby besides "Baby Cheese." Of course, this is always subject to change until the child is born, but for now we've chosen the name of Hudson for this little guy. Nate's one reservation about it is the likelihood of him being called "Hud" at some point. I think there could be worse things.  We've decided to keep the middle name a surprise for when the baby is born.  So unlike Cooper, who was "Tater Tot" until he was born, we have started calling the baby by his name (although I think the nickname "Cheese" may just stick with him the rest of his life).  We thought it important to settle on a name so Cooper could get used to calling him Hudson instead of Baby Cheese all the time.

Here's a picture of the baby bump at 30 weeks (only 9 weeks until he's here!).  This shirt makes me look HUGE.  Well, I am, but this shirt makes me look bigger than others from the backside.  At least, that's what I think.  Although today my friend's mom saw me and said, "When are you due?  Tomorrow?", which is funny because her daughter is due three days after me, but looks a lot smaller.  I have three friends at church all due within a month of me, and we all look drastically different.  It's funny to see the differences.
The other night we were in the office, and Cooper found some headphones.  He instantly put them on, and then held the plug end up to my belly.  I asked what he was doing, and he said, "Shhhhhh! I'm listening to Baby Cheese."  With my phone handy, I asked Nate to snap a photo.  I asked what the baby was saying, and Cooper said Hudson said, "Hey big brother. I love you."  Awwwww.
Also, last night I was reading bedtime stories to Cooper and told him that very soon our new rocking chair would be ready, and I'd be able to rock him in it while we read stories and such.  Then he asked if I could rock the baby in the chair too after he's born, and I said yes.  Then he said so sweetly, "And Mom, can I hold Hudson and rock him in the chair too?"  I think this little guy is going to be one awesome big brother.

1 comment:

  1. Hudson is a great name! Cooper is going to be a great brother! I am happy every day that my boys have each other!!!

    ReplyDelete