Monday, November 3, 2014

Adventures in American Fork Canyon

I was lucky to grow up very near some beautiful mountains, and every time we visit Utah, Nathan and I want our children to experience the beauty and fun of spending time there.  So while we were in Utah this summer, we went to the mountains for a few days.  Having small children, we decided to stick close to home, and go up American Fork canyon, which takes all of about 20 minutes from my parents' house.  This is a view of Mount Timpanogos from American Fork.  I never get tired of seeing this old, familiar face.
Soon we were up the canyon, and it didn't take long for the kids to get in the river.  We stopped just below Tibblefork where the water is slow and shallow, so the kids could play.
Cooper always loves to get his feet wet.
Calvin was right there with him.

Jaisie wanted to play with the big kids.  Nate couldn't wait to get a fishing line in the water.
Hudson wanted to join in the fun.
Cooper caught this little fish with his bare hands.
Hudson and Daddy going for a walk in the woods.
We could only keep Hudson out of the water for so long...
but that water was COLD!
Back at the camp site in Granite Flats campground, Hudson decided to chill.
But it wasn't long before he was as dirty as ever.
The kids had a great time playing in the dirt.
Jason and Camyll joined us for dinner, bringing some Pollo Loco that looked rather delicious compared to our campfire cooked tinfoil dinners.
This picture cracks me up.  Vogue, Camyll!
After dinner we went for a hike on a random trail.  It was beautiful.
My Mom and Dad joined us for the evening as well.
The trail led to a spring runoff bed, where many of us enjoyed looking for cool rocks.
Mom found a rock shaped like a heart.
Cooper loved exploring.
Hudson too!
Such a beautiful night.
Me and my sister, Camyll.
I started talking about how as kids we used to find geodes in the American Fork river bed behind my parents' house.  I had gotten pretty good at spotting the right kind of rock, and was pretty sure these were some, since they had small crystals peeking out.  We took them home, and this one proved to have some pretty good geode crystals inside.  I still have the knack for finding them after all these years, I guess.  Coop was impressed.
Huddy and Papa.
Going for a hike!
The kids enjoyed exploring this meadow with Papa.
Have we tired you out already, Papa and Grammie?
Time to make smores!  Coop couldn't wait!
I get to play in the fire?  Holla!!
Sweet Jaisie girl.
Poulson and Calvin.
Nate knows how to roast the marshmallows juuuuuust right.
How many more marshmallows can you fit in your mouth, Coop?
Yummy smores...
...sugar coma.

We spent the night with our two little boys in a tent.  Oh.my.goodness.  I didn't get a wink of sleep, was cold from giving nearly all my blankets to my children to ensure they were warm enough, and felt like someone had beaten me when I got up the next morning.  Camping used to be so fun...hmmmmm. Maybe someday when we don't have a baby.  I was so glad when it was morning again, and that we had planned on only the one night.  But Cooper LOVED sleeping in a tent.  I am glad we did it for him to have the experience.

The next morning Nate took Cooper fishing again.
They caught and released a few small ones.  AF never has big trout, but you can count on catching a few.
Cassady, George, Mom and Dad joined us for a lunch picnic and a hike.  I couldn't find my phone, so didn't have any pictures of them for that.
We went on a little hike up to where there used to be a pond and a beaver dam, or so Dad remembered.  Apparently it had been like 15 years, and the pond was dried up and now a meadow.  So we kept on up the steep, hot trail for a bit, until we all decided enough was enough, and headed back down.
They left, but we stayed with the boys for a bit to play in the water and enjoy some shade.  Hudson was happy to be out of the baby carrier.
It was a beautiful little stream.  If you look closely, at the top of the stream in this picture, you can see Cooper and Nathan.
It was fun to spend a few days in the mountains.
And then I was ready to go home and take a shower--ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment